- Course Title
- Certified Medical Assistant Program
- Course Code
- LCN 100D
- Claire Nelson
The Certified Medical Assistant Program is designed for those students wishing to begin their career path in the healthcare industry. The medical assistant is an unlicensed member of the healthcare team that is trained in multiple skills. Medical Assistants work in clinics, urgent cares and physician offices and are trained in both the front office and clinical skills. Job duties vary by employer.
This is a hybrid program, which means students will need access to a computer during part of the program. Students will be required to review online lectures prior to coming to class for their face to face lab days. Class will meet one day or evening a week after the first 8 weeks of online work. Please see dates below.
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Medical History and Patient Assessment
- Vital Sign Measurements
- Assisting with Physical Examinations and Minor Office Procedures
- Medication preparation and administration, by mouth, subcutaneous, and injections
- Phlebotomy / Lab Collection, Processing and Microbiology
- Other clinical and/or front office duties which would normally be part of the role of a medical assistant.
- Anatomy and physiology of each body system and basic disease processes
- Basic Accounting Techniques
- Written and Oral communications
- Office Administration,
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Medical Terminology and Abbreviations
All students will receive their American Heart Association (AHA) CPR certification as part of the program. After successful completion of the program, students will have qualified to sit for the CCMA certification through the National Healthcareer Association and/or the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) through the American Medical Technologists (AMT). Tuition includes either of these certifications, but only one. The student will need to decide by mid-term which exam they wish to take.
The cost of the program includes the following:
- All books/workbooks needed for the program
- All lab supplies needed for the program
- Two (2) pairs of navy blue embroidered scrubs
- One pair of clinically approved shoes
- CPR certification through the AHA
- The Health Career Readiness Assessment (HCRA Exam)
- Blood Pressure Cuff
- Urine Drug Screen
- Background Check
- One attempt at the CCMA or RMA Certification Exam
- Certificate of completion
- Photo ID badge for Clinical
- Medical Assistant Certification Lapel Pin
- Clinical fees
- Lab fees
Pell Grants, A+ are not accepted for this program. Ask the front office about grant opportunities, payment plans, and other financing offers.
Students may begin the registration process at anytime*
When registering, you will need to specify the day or evening program.
You will be sent login information 24-48 hours prior to first day of class
Jan. 25th class the seated portion will start on March 29, 2019
March 26th class the seated portion will start on May 28, 2019
June 27th class the seated portion will start on August 29, 2019
There is no refund to the student unless CWD Allied Health cancels the program. If the student withdrawals prior to the start of the program, a fee of $250 will be charged.