- Course Title
- IT Technical Support
- Course Code
- Zoom Lecture/Online
- M. Vest
This course is geared towards preparing students to pass the CompTIA A+ certification, which is the first step of a professional IT journey. It is the preferred performance-based qualifying credential for technical support and IT operational roles, such as Help Desk Specialist, Help Desk Technician, PC Technician, Computer Service Technician, or Information Technology Specialist. This course covers mobile devices, networking, computer hardware, virtualization, cloud computing, hardware/network troubleshooting, operating systems, general IT security, software troubleshooting, and operational procedures.
This course helps prepare students to pass both the hardware/networking and the software/operating systems components of the CompTIA A+ certification. The following areas are covered in an online format utilizing virtual software: mobile device configuration, networking, and wireless configurations, hardware components, basic virtualization, cloud computing concepts, network hardware troubleshooting, operating systems installation and configuration, basic device security, software configuration, and troubleshooting, and basic IT operational procedures.
- Live instruction via Zoom Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 8:00 – 10:00am/1:00 – 2:30pm. Students should plan on 15-25 hours a week for online work in addition to Zoom instruction.
Instructional Material Requirements:
Course registration includes all required instructional materials:
- Jean Andrews, Joy Dark, Jill West; CompTIA A+ Guide to IT Technical Support, 10th Edition; ISBN: 9780357108291. This book will be shipped to the address provided at registration.
- The following materials will be available online through Canvas:
- License to use Test Out’s PC Pro software (https://www.testout.com/courses/pc-pro)
- License to use Measure Up CompTIA A+ 220-1001 (Core 1) and 220-1002 (Core 2) Practice Tests (https://www.measureup.com/comptia/comptia-practice-tests.html)
Online Class Computer Requirements
- Access to a reliable computer with a webcam and microphone, running Windows 10
- Reliable Internet access
- Additional OTC online computer class requirements: https://online.otc.edu/otc-online-computer-requirements/
About the instructor: Mike Vest
NOTE: A USB flash drive is highly recommended but not required
Next class Summer of 2021