The healthcare industry continues to offer growth and career opportunities. The medical assistant role is a mix of traditional office work, answering phones, filing insurance claims, and hands-on tasks, such as drawing blood, administering injections, updating patient records, and vital signs, and written/oral communications. This 18-week hybrid course will prepare students to begin their careers in healthcare. Be career-ready before the end of 2022. One attempt at the certification exam is included in the course.
Course Title: WDH-500
Course Length: Once a week face-to-face (4 hours – evening)/minimum of 10 hours a week commitment through the online learning system, Canvas.
Class Dates: June 28, 2022 – November 8, 2022
Class Meets: Tuesday evenings from 5:30–9:30 p.m. (off holidays or when the campus is closed)
Location: Springfield Campus, Lincoln Hall 100
Requirements: Clinical requirements are 160 hours. These are offered Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. only, and begin at approximately the 10th week.
Tuition: $6,995 (Financial assistance may be available. Apply now to determine eligibility.)
- How to take vital signs of patients across the lifespan
- Medication preparation and administration, by mouth, subcutaneous, and injections
- Assist with physical exams and minor office procedures
- Phlebotomy/Lab Collection/Processing
- Anatomy/Physiology of each body system
- Medical Terminology/Abbreviations
- CPR Certification
- Nationally recognized medical assistant certification through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- Job-ready skills for plenty of local employment opportunities
- Clinical opportunities in and around the Springfield/Branson area
- Vital signs
- Office/Procedure set up
- Space is limited
- Background check and urine drug screen required per clinical facility
- Vaccinations required per clinical facility
- The certification pass rate is 98%